Mewing vs Falim Gum – Which is Better for Your Jawline?
Table of Contents
|🇹🇷 What is Falim Gum?
|👍 Which is Better?
What is Mewing?
Mewing is the process of flattening your entire tongue on the roof of the mouth. As well as breathing through you nose and maintaining good back posture.
Over time, this tongue position will realign your teeth and change your facial structure.
To mew correctly, you should relax your tongue and make sure it's resting entirely against your palate (roof of your mouth) using a mixture of suction and pressure.
This is the natural, healthy tongue placement we are supposed to have. In fact, before modern times, everyone did! But modern lifestyles have made it feel unnatural. Learn more about mewing here.
- 🫁 Keeps Air in Your Lungs Longer – our nostrils are smaller than our mouth, so it takes longer for us to exhale. This can mean up to 20% more oxygen uptake into your bloodstream compared to mouth breathing = more energy!
- 💨 Humidified Air – your nasal passage warms air (by up to 40ºF) on the way from your nose to your lungs. This is important in cold weather.
- 🦠 Removes Germs and Pathogens – your nasal passage filters out significant amounts of bacteria and other pathogens during each lung full of air. Nose breathers get sick less often.
- 🧘♀️ Less Breathing Interruption – when you inhale and exhale through your nose, it's easier to breathe while chewing, drinking, talking or exercising. That "extra" oxygen you get from nose breathing goes a long way.
- 💧Increased Hydration – each exhalation from the mouth expels water. This is particularly important during exercise, where mouth breathers become tired and dehydrated earlier.
- 🦷 Straighter Teeth – proper posture exerts pressure on the maxilla which helps widen the dental arch, which allows space for orthodontic tooth movement and proper alignment.
- 😯 Tighter Skin Around Chin and Neck – mewing is the best way to get rid of a double chin and make your jawline more defined.
- 💎 Prominent Cheekbones and a Sharper Jawline – you'll notice more prominent cheekbones and hollow cheeks after you've been mewing for a few months. The chin can become more prominent and the jaw widens.
- 🛌 No Snoring, No Sleep Apnea – reduced nasal obstruction helps prevent snoring and results in better, deeper sleep. Mewing is used to treat people with problems sleeping such as sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome.
- 🕰 Takes a Long Time – changing your facial bone structure, fixing an overbite and expanding your maxilla doesn't happen over night. If you're a teenager you can see results in a matter of months. The older you are, the longer it will take to see results.
- 😑 Easy to Get Wrong – if it doesn't come natural to you... you have to be very careful what you're doing. Many people try to force the posture too much and end up doing more harm than good. Facial asymmetry and crooked teeth can be the end result. Don't make these mistakes.
- 🧠 Maybe You're Already Doing it? – if that's the case, you've got nothing more to gain here. However, I estimate that about 80% of people could have better tongue posture and nose breathing.
What is Falim Gum?
Falim gum is a Turkish gum that has been around for many decades. But it's only in the last 5 years that it has become popular internationally.
Why? Partly because Mondelez, the massive conglomerate that own Falim, started selling it on Amazon and internationally. But also because it's significantly harder than Wrigley's or any other regular gum...
Falim gum got picked up by the mewing community. It's been talked about as a great way to tone and define the face because of its extra resistance.
- 🤑 It's Cheap – you can get a pack of 20 pieces for around $4. That's probably the cheapest jaw exerciser you'll find.
- 🍬 Lots of Flavors – Because it's made in a factory, there are dozens of artificial flavors. If you don't like the taste of one, just try another!
- 🏪 Easily Available – if you live in Turkey, Falim gum is in every supermarket, gas station or even every store. For everyone else, it's not hard to find on Amazon.
- 🍼 Great For Beginners: if you've never trained your jaw before, Falim is a great place to start before moving up to mastic gum.
- 👨🎓 You Can Workout Anywhere, Anytime: chew while you're working, studying, driving or working out.
- 🦴 Zero Joint Damage: no TMJ or stress on your joints.
- 🫐 Not Much Harder Than Regular Gum – it's still a better workout than regular gum... but not by much. It could be a good place to start for beginners before moving on to a harder gum.
- 🏭 It's Artificial – this is the worst thing because most chewing gums are artificial. In fact, you probably haven't even tried a natural gum before have you?
- ⚛️ It's Slightly Toxic – Falim contains 2 synthetic antioxidants; E321 and Butyl hyrdoxytoluene. They're used to prevent the gum going rancid and to maintain its white color. These compounds are suspected of being highly toxic for the liver, kidneys and retina as well as elevating cholesterol levels.
- 😐 Loses its Taste Fast – some people say Falim is tasteless. In my experience, Falim gum had a taste, but it disappeared quickly. After chewing for a few minutes the texture can also become quite rubbery and I had to add another piece.
Which is Better: Mewing vs Falim Gum
🏁 CONCLUSION 🏁
They're both beneficial for your appearance... But mewing is more important.
Mewing is fantastic for your long-term health and will change your face shape (slowly) to give a better foundation to build upon.
Chewing hard gum, like Falim, will build your masseter muscles and give you a strong, masculine jawline. Though, you'll get faster results with mastic.
🍀 GOOD LUCK 🍀
P.S all the best jawline exercise equipment in one place👇