Mewing Tongue Posture - How to Do it Correctly
Mewing Tongue Posture: How Do You Know if You're Doing it Right?
🔎 Revealed on this page...
- 📝 How to Mew in 5 Steps: first, let's make sure you're doing all the other mewing steps correctly
- 😰 👅 "Is My Tongue in the Right Position" - 2 ways to know you aren't wasting your time... and possibly making your face asymmetrical
- 🧪 The Other 67% of The Jawline Formula: mewing works... but there's a lot more you can do to improve your face
Mewing tongue posture isn't just slapping your tongue up against the roof of your mouth. There's more too it than that...
Every mewing beginner wants to know one of the following:
- How can I get the back third of my tongue against the palate?
- How do I know if I'm mewing correctly?
If you're completely new to mewing and have no idea what I'm talking about - read How to Mew in 5 Steps. You DEFINITELY won't be able to do the correct mewing tongue posture if you aren't following the other steps.
If you've tried mewing and are still having trouble getting the correct tongue position, keep reading 👇
Mewing tongue posture looks easy in diagrams. But if you've ever tried to do it... you know that it's not!
How Tongue Posture Affects Your Face
How you place your tongue affects the shape of your nose, eyes, cheekbones and jawline. It's weird to think that the posture of your tongue could change that much, but think about back posture.
If you walked around all day bent over with a hunchback: wouldn't you get shorter? Wouldn't certain muscles weaken and issues with your bones and joints develop?
Correct back posture is an essential part of a healthy, functioning body. Likewise, correct tongue posture is essential for a strong, healthy face and head.
Mewing tongue posture will ensure you develop traditionally "attractive" facial features
Incorrect Tongue Posture:
- Drags your face down
- Drags your face backwards into your neck
This results in an abnormally long face, a recessed jawline and chin, a flat or hooked nose, narrow mouth and crowded, crooked teeth.
Not only does this look unattractive (that depends on your tastes of course) but it is also dysfunctional and unhealthy. Muscle imbalances and other dysfunctions of the face and jaw, cause headaches, migraines, facial pain and arthritis.
Improper tongue posture will drag your face downwards and back
What Causes Incorrect Tongue Posture?
The 2 root causes of bad tongue posture are:
😵 Mouth Breathing - you can't put your tongue in the correct position if your mouth is always open. There are a few reasons people start breathing through their noses:
- Allergies and nasal congestion
- Lack of cardiovascular exercises during childhood
- Poor diet leading to excess mucus and constricted sinuses
- Unawareness of how one should breath
😛 Loose Tongue - the correct positioning of the tongue doesn't come naturally to modern generations because of:
- Thumb sucking during infancy and childhood
- Lack of tough foods- leading to weak jaw muscles
- Bad back posture due to sedentary lifestyles- too much sitting etc
Let's look at exactly how to get your tongue into the correct tongue position. Start reaping the benefits 👇
Mewing Tongue Posture in 5 Steps
Think of mewing tongue posture as a process with a few steps:
The correct mewing tongue posture is impossible if you're not doing all 5 steps. Forgetting a step is the main reason people struggle to position their tongue correctly.
2. 👃 Breathe Through Your Nose
The first step of mewing is to seal your lips lightly, AKA close your mouth! How are you going to survive if you can't breathe through your nose?!
You'll have to become comfortable breathing through your nose deeply before you can do the correct mewing tongue posture.
3. 👅 Get "Some" of Your Tongue Up Against Your Palate
Your tongue isn't ready for the full mewing tongue posture. Stretching your entire tongue against your palate can be painful and even impossible for mewing beginners.
You'll need to start by just putting as much of your tongue against the palate as you can. Maybe it's just the tip, that's a start.
Get used to deep nose breathing while having part of your tongue held against your palate. Try to get more of your tongue up every day, don't worry if progress is slow.
4. 🤩 Put The Back Part of Your Tongue Up Against Your Palate
Your neck, jaw and tongue have gotten flexible and strong. Now you're ready for the full mewing tongue posture. Place your entire tongue (at least 80% of it) against your palate, and hold it there with a mixture of suction and pressure.
Breathe deeply through your nose and stand up straight. Try to maintain this position for most of the day. Initially you'll have to think about what you're doing, but over time this will become 100% natural.
5. ✅ You're Mewing! Don't Stop!
Woohoo! Finally! You're doing the proper mewing tongue posture and not making any mewing mistakes. Your new tongue posture may be uncomfortable for the first few weeks or months. But DON'T let that stop you doing it. It will get easy every week until you don't even know you are doing it. You'll never have to think about it again, it will be natural!
You can also consider accelerating your results with hard mewing. But please read this article first because hard mewing can lead to facial asymmetry and deformities 👇
What If I STILL Can't Do The Correct Mewing Tongue Posture?
Don't stress. Keep these things in mind:
- 👻 Nobody Can Do it Straight Away - your tongue, neck and jaw muscles are strong enough or flexible enough. They'll need to adjust.
- 😍 You'll Look Amazing - the struggle will be worth it. Mewing will make you healthier and more attractive. Look at these 100 mewing before and after photos for motivation.
- 💀 You're Transforming Your Entire Facial Bone Structure... - did you think that would be easy?
- ❗️ It Took Me 2 MONTHS!! - I was doing it wrong for the first 3 weeks, then I corrected my mistake. But it still took another 6 weeks before I could comfortably hold the correct mewing tongue position. It paid off in the end though. Check out my mewing transformation.
👇 START HERE 👇
⛔️ Risks of Incorrect Tongue Posture ⛔️
Either mew correctly or don't mew at all. Because you can make negative changes to your facial appearance and health. Such as:
- Misalignment of teeth (crooked teeth)
- Misalignment of both upper and lower jaw
- Pain or dysfunction at the hinge of your jaw (TMJ pain)
- Loose or chipped teeth (from misalignment or pressure)
All these can be avoided if you make sure to avoid these tongue posture mistakes:
- Only Putting the Tip of the Tongue Against the Palate
- Not Learning How to Nose Breath FIRST
- Thinking That Mewing is an "Exercise"
- Swallowing and Then Holding That Position
- Hard Mewing Before You Can Even Mew Correctly
- Touching Your Front Teeth With Your Tongue
- Having Your Mouth Too Far Open
- Trying to Mew While Chewing and Talking
- Pinching Your Cheeks Between Your Teeth
- Thinking That Mewing Will Make You Look Like a Model...
READ MORE: I break down each of these mewing mistakes in this article.
3 Ways to Know if You're Mewing Correctly
- The Sign Technique - say "sing" and hold the "ng" sound at the end. The correct mewing tongue posture is roughly the position your tongue is in when you hold that sound.
- The Chin-Up Hold - lay down on your stomach and hold your head up so that you are looking straight ahead. Close your mouth, and try hold your whole tongue against your upper palate. This is roughly the tongue posture you want to maintain.
- The Mewing Appliance - this is a device designed to help you maintain proper tongue posture consistently. I've never tried it and I don't see the need for it, but some people have reported finding it helpful. I'm also skeptical of a little piece of plastic that costs $25. If nothing works and you still aren't sure if your tongue posture is correct, try the mewing appliance.
WATCH THIS: I explain it better in this video below 👇
Try these 2 techniques to see if you have the proper tongue posture
The Jawline Formula
It took me 10 years to figure out the 3 things that actually work for improving your jawline:
- ⚙️ Mewing - set the foundation
- 💪 Chewing - build the muscle
- 💎 Slimming - chisel and define
READ MORE: I break down my JAWLINE formula in more detail👇
Summary: Mewing Tongue Posture
📗 Learn All 5 Steps of Mewing FIRST
You'll never be able to do the mewing tongue posture if you aren't following all 5 steps. Learn them first, and make sure you aren't making any mistakes.
⏰ Tongue Posture Takes Time!
Transforming your face and sharpening your jawline isn't easy! You'll need some patience. It will take at least a few weeks to learn how to mew. And then it will take at least a few months before you see any noticeable results. But it'll be worth it!
2️⃣ Ways to Know if You're Mewing Properly
Make sure you try both these:
- The Sing Technique
- The Chin-Up Hold
🧪 The Jawline Formula
There's 3 things you can do to improve your jawline:
- Mewing - set the foundation
- Chewing - build the muscle
- Slimming - chisel and define
🍀 GOOD LUCK! 🍀
P.S The formula for getting your best jawline has 3 steps. Mewing is step 1. Read more 👇