What is Mewing – Can Mewing Reshape Your Face?
This "Mewing" Thing is Starting to Show up Everywhere... But What is Mewing?
How Tongue Posture and Nose Breathing Can Transform Your Face and Jawline
🔎 Revealed on this page...
⛔️ "Your jawline is based on your genetics" - WRONG! The average person was more attractive 100 years ago than today. Is that only because we're fatter now?
🤷 2 "Normal" Sins That are Making You Uglier: How you can gradually become more attractive (healthily and naturally) for free. This is also the answer to "what is mewing?".
🧬 The "Hollywood Formula" That Only Costs $21.99: the simple jawline exercise that models, actors and influencers are keeping secret.
Table of Contents
What is Mewing?
Mewing is the process of flattening your entire tongue on the roof of the mouth. As well as breathing through you nose and maintaining good back posture.
Over time, this posture will realign your teeth and define your face and jawline. To mew correctly, you should relax your tongue and make sure it's resting entirely against your palate (roof of your mouth) using a mixture of suction and pressure.
The back 3rd of the tongue or "root of tongue" is the most important part to have up against the palate
This is the natural, healthy tongue posture we are supposed to have. In fact, before modern times, everyone did! But modern lifestyles have made it feel unnatural. Here's a few things that contribute to poor posture:
- 🍦 Soft Foods - let's face it, soft food is easier to eat! It's faster too! But our palate and jaw evolved on a different diet. We lack chewy meats, nuts and vegetables. Our jaw never gets a workout anymore.
- 🪑 We Sit Down ALL THE TIME - our bodies are designed to either stand and do things... or lie down and rest. Sitting isn't a natural position. This contributes to bad back and neck posture which is the root cause of bad tongue posture (and million other problems).
- 🏊♀️ We Don't Exercise Enough - back in the day, everything humans did was a form of exercise. Gathering food, hunting etc. Now we have to force ourselves to do it. If you exercise enough, you'll naturally breath through your nose because it's more efficient.
So what's the result of all this? Well... we breathe through our mouth and rest our tongue on the floor of our mouths.
Which is actually an abnormality that destabilizes the balance of force in our upper and lower jaw (Maxilla & Mandible). We end up with weaker, longer faces, hunched posture, and "less appealing" appearance.
MEWING ISN'T "NEW"
Mewing doesn't instantly make your face look better. Instead, not mewing is what's holding back your potential. Mewing is a corrective therapy that will help you put your tongue back where it should be sitting naturally.
And the result of that of the months and years... will be an improved facial bone structure. Let's get into it!
Mewing is the cure for a double chin.
Mewing corrected this woman's overbite and improved her jawline.
What Does Mewing Do and How Does it Work?
No "One Weird Trick!" - Just Simple Science
There's no magic. Mewing is just simply the healthy and natural tongue posture that humans are supposed to have. In fact, it's what humans did have, up until the last 100 years.
Mewing has two main components that work together to give the incredible results that everyone is talking about:
- Nose breathing
- Tongue posture
Both of which have a diverse range of benefits just by themselves. Mewing recognises that they are complimentary and become easier in combination. Let's look at what they can do.
5 Benefits of Nose Breathing
- 🫁 Keeps Air in Your Lungs Longer - our nostrils are smaller than our mouth, so it takes longer for us to exhale. This can mean up to 20% more oxygen uptake into your bloodstream compared to mouth breathing = more energy!
- 💨 Humidified Air - your nasal passage warms air (by up to 40ºF) on the way from your nose to your lungs. This is important in cold weather.
- 🦠 Removes Germs and Pathogens - your nasal passage filters out significant amounts of bacteria and other pathogens during each lung full of air. Nose breathers get sick less often.
- 🧘♀️ Less Breathing Interruption - when you inhale and exhale through your nose, it's easier to breathe while chewing, drinking, talking or exercising. That "extra" oxygen you get from nose breathing goes a long way.
- 💧Increased Hydration - each exhalation from the mouth expels water. This is particularly important during exercise, where mouth breathers become tired and dehydrated earlier.
And that's just a few of them! Lots of good research has come out the last few decades supporting nose breathing. But what makes mewing so revolutionary, is the combination of nose breathing and tongue posture.
If you want to know what mewing is, you need to know about tongue posture. Let's look at why it's important.
The entire tongue should be up against the your palate. The most important part is the back of the tongue.
4 Benefits of Correct Tongue Posture
- 🦷 Straighter Teeth - proper posture exerts pressure on the maxilla which helps widen the dental arch, which allows space for the teeth to develop and maintain proper alignment.
- 😯 Tighter Skin Around Chin and Neck - mewing is the best way to get rid of a double chin and make your jawline more defined.
- 💎 Prominent Cheekbones and a Sharper Jawline - you'll notice more prominent cheekbones and hollow cheeks after you've been mewing for a few months. The chin can become more prominent and the jaw widens. There's not shortage of evidence what mewing can do for your jawline.
- 🛌 No Snoring, No Sleep Apnoea - reduced nasal obstruction helps prevent snoring and results in better, deeper sleep. Mewing is used to treat people with problems sleeping.
READ MORE: I break down tongue posture in more detail👇
Where Did Mewing Come From?
The British Father and Son Duo Who are Now "Reddit Famous"
The word "Mewing" comes from the British orthodontists John and Mike Mew, the father and son duo. They promote a form of orthodontics called “Orthotropics”. It focuses on “jaw posture” and retraining the posture of the tongue.
That's Mike Mew on the far left, and John Mew on the far Right
John Mew practised dentistry for 40 years in South-West England. It was during this time that he developed the ideas that would later be called mewing. He noticed that previous generations had far less instances of crooked teeth.
This led him believe that crooked teeth were not due to genetics, but rather smaller jaws in modern generations, due to different lifestyles. John reasoned that palatial expansion is done naturally by the tongue.
Dr. Mike Mew trained trained in London and today manages an orthodontic clinic there. He received his training at Aarus University in Denmark by Professor Birte Melsen.
The name Orthotropics comes from the latin words for "straight" and "growth". It whole philosophy is that when treating the teeth, one should treat the entire face.
This branch of medicine overlaps with the existing field Myofunctional Therapy, which treats face and mouth problems.
😴 LONG STORY SHORT: John developed much of the mewing theory, and Mike built on his father's work as well as brought it into the mainstream.
Orthotropics often clashes with Orthodontistry- though it shouldn't. They are complimentary. If we take the example of crooked teeth:
Orthotropics believes that straightening the teeth can be done by correcting the facial resting position and some invasive treatment like a retainer. Orthodontistry would instead propose the patient wear a retainer for the rest of their life as treatment.
THE ORTHOTROPICS YOUTUBE CHANNEL
The most thorough source of all mewing information, is the Orthotropics YouTube channel. It wasn't until Mike Mew starting regularly posting videos, that mewing started going viral and everyone was asking what is mewing?
A great introduction to Orthotropics by Dr. Mike Mew
Searches for "mewing" exploded after Mike Mew made an explainer video
Mike even created a subreddit to discuss Orthotropics. Lots of fantastic discussion and research is shared there. As well as personal anecdotes by enthusiastic "mewers".
📙 LEARN MORE: find out more about what mewing is straight from the Mew's! Check out their verified resources:
- Orthotropics YouTube Channel - learn the details of mewing and see what's possible.
- Orthotropics Subreddit - be part of the discussion and keep up to date.
- Orthotropics Website - best place to contact the Mew's and read more in depth about their work.
✅ SIMPLE & EASY: I summarise all the science of mewing, and just tell you the parts you need to know. Learn "what is mewing" using my top resources:
- Mewing YouTube Channel - l constantly get comments saying I have the best mewing tutorials videos on YouTube.
- My Most-Read Mewing Articles - Once people read my content, they stop searching. I explain everything.
How to Mew in 5 Steps
- 💋 Step #1 - Seal Your Lips Lightly: don't force them together and don't pout. Just lightly resting together.
- 👅 Step #2 - Place Your Whole Tongue Against The Roof Of Your Mouth: the back third of the tongue is the most important part. Use suction and pressure to hold it there.
- 💂♂️ Step #3 - Stand Up Straight With Your Shoulders Back: basic back posture... but almost nobody does it. It's crucial for mewing.
- 🥤 Step #4 - Swallow Using Only Your Tongue: you shouldn't use your cheeks or lips to help your swallow. Chew with your teeth, swallow with your tongue.
- 🦷 Step #5 - Chew Slowly With Your Mouth Closed: chewing slowly using your teeth. Don't use your cheeks to move food around. That's your tongue's job.
Watch this video on how to mew. You need to see me demonstrate it to understand fully
This will feel weird for a while! Don't worry, that's normal! The good news is that, after consciously practicing mewing for a few weeks, it will become second nature. Muscle memory will kick in, you won't have to think about it and it’ll get much easier.
After about 2 months (sometimes much faster) you'll see your entire face come forward. Your face will become more symmetrical, your neck will tighten, and your cheekbones will become more prominent.
I still find it SO WEIRD that proper tongue posture can do all that. But it kind of makes sense. Your tongue holds your whole face in balance.
MEWING TUTORIAL: Further below, I'll go into more detail on what is mewing. But if you're interested in learning how to mew correctly, I go into FAR more detail in this article:
Is There Proof That Mewing Works?
What Dentists and Scientists Say?
Mewing has not received support from mainstream orthodontists. It's still considered a fringe science or pseudoscience.
That's not to say they disagree 100%. Most dentists and orthodontists agree with many of the hypotheses behind mewing, and considered them worthy of further study. However, the don't agree with everything that the theory of mewing suggests.
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT DENTISTS SAY... HERE'S WHY
In science, the research and theory is usually far behind the practise. There are multiple studies suggesting that tongue posture affects jaw and facial shape. But their usually has to be years and years of consistent confirmation before the scientific community says something is "proven".
There are multiple studies in support of mewing:
Treatment and retention of relapsed anterior open-bite with low tongue posture and tongue-tie: in this 2014 study, proper tongue posture fixed a patients overbite and forward Maxilla growth was achieved. They checked up on him 10 years later and his results were lasting.
- A 2018 study published in the journal Radiology and Oncology found that anterior open bites in toddlers could be cured by tongue posture.
- A muscle memory course created by The Dental Academy of Continuing Education (DACE) states the importance of tongue posture. Which they go on to describe as resting the back of the tongue up against the hard palate.
- Mewing tongue posture has been linked to stronger chewing muscles. A study from 1997 that was published in the Journal of Oral & Facial Pain and Headache found stronger temporalis and suprahyoid muscles by those who rested their tongue against their palate.
- This report shows the correlation between mouthing breathing and low tongue posture. WE didn't need evidence of that!
- Tongue Posture is linked to the posture of the entire body? That's what a 2016 pilot study found and published in the Muscle, Ligaments and Tendons Journal.
- The Creed Twins example (1999) is one Mike Mew refers to regularly. One twin was treated with Orthotropics, focusing on fixing tongue posture. The other has traditional Orthodontic treatment. The results showed how what has come to be known as mewing, can have broader and lasting effects.
- A study conducted in 2018 on 90 subjects, found that “tongue posture has a significant effect on sagittal jaw relationship and dental arch widths.”
⚠️ These studies don't prove that mewing makes you more attractive. A scientific study or review can't decide that. That's why many skeptics say there is no scientific evidence that these results are from mewing.
DON'T WAIT FOR THE STUDIES TO CATCH UP!
We're in the early stages of this discovery. Decide for yourself if mewing is worth trying based on the current available evidence.
PERSONALLY: I didn't wait for rigorous scientific research to get started. I saw WAY too many people's amazing transformations and decided I wanted a piece of the action.
A successful mewing transformation over 3 years
Mewing still works for full grown adults- like this man
If you want to see more mewing transformation pictures like these... checkout this article👇
Are There Any Risk? Here's 10 Mewing Mistakes That Could Damage Your Face
1. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Only Putting the Tip of the Tongue Against the Palate
2. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Not Learning How to Nose Breath FIRST
3. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Thinking That Mewing is an "Exercise"
4. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Swallowing and Then Holding That Position
5. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Hard Mewing Before You Can Even Mew Correctly
6. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Touching Your Front Teeth With Your Tongue
7. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Having Your Mouth Too Far Open
8. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Trying to Mew While Chewing and Talking
9. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Pinching Your Cheeks Between Your Teeth
10. ⛔️ Mewing Mistake: Thinking That Mewing Will Make You Look Like a Model...
You seriously want to avoid these. Mewing incorrectly can lead to facial deformities that may need surgery to repair. If you want to know:
- The Risks of Mewing
- How to Avoid the Risks
- The 10 Common Mewing Mistakes
Then you need to make sure to read this article 👇
What is Hard Mewing?
Some people are just impatient. I'm one of them. I'd been mewing for 2.5 months and hadn't seen any changes. Then I heard about hard mewing. It's talked about as a way to accelerate your mewing results. And it does, but it's risky.
Make sure you know the risks before you try hard mewing
Basically, hard mewing is just applying way more pressure against your palate than normal. You force your tongue upwards all throughout the day, and swallow frequently.
The idea is that all this extra pressure will expand your palate quicker than it would with regular mewing- which uses less pressure. I've seen it work and I believe in the concept to be valid.... but
I don't recommend hard mewing to anyone that hasn't been mewing for at least 4 months.
If you're mewing incorrectly and causing damage, hard mewing will only accelerate that damage. There's a lot to know and I wrote a really in-depth article about it if you're interested 👇
Why are Influencers Always Talking About Mewing?
When Something Amazes You... You Normally Tell People About it
2reasons why Models, YouTubers, Bloggers and Creators won't shutup about mewing:
- Can make you more attractive - surgery-free, healthy way to look better
- Lots of people are interested - lots of views and likes for creators
This isn't a good thing. Mewing has the potential to change your face for the worse. That's right, you can mew incorrectly and mess up your face. Many influencers spread false (and harmful) information.
- 😟 Facial Asymmetry - unevenly distributed pressure can mean "changes" only happen to one side of the face.
- 😳 Gaps Between Teeth - too much pressure from the tip of the tongue (and not the back) can cause your front teeth to spread further apart.
- 😱 Double Chin - pressure applied only the tip of the tongue results in a bulge under your chin.
READ MORE: make sure you're not making any of these 10 mewing mistakes.
Some YouTuber's have done the research and experimentation. They make mewing simple, easy to understand and risk-free. There's a really good one called Matt Phelps (it's me haha). Check out the channel here👇
The Simple Jawline Formula (Hollywood's Secret)
It's Often the Simple Things That Work the Best
Don't underestimate this formula because of its simplicity. Running as fast as you can up a hill is a simple formula to lose weight, right? But it works.
Forget fancy gimmicks and jawline chew-toys. They only exist because people don't have the discipline to stick to proven methods. They want a short-cut or an easy-way-out.
Well, Step 2 of the formula is kind of a shortcut. But Step 1 and Step 2 aren't easy. They're simple, but not easy. We'll get to that in a second. First, there's something you need to know:
If you do all 3 steps of the jawline formula... and stick to it! I GUARANTEE you... you will get a sharper jawline and more attractive face.
Alright, enough hype. Now I've set you up to be all excited. As I said, don't be disappointed in how simple it is. Be EXCITED that it's doable!
I'm finally sharing the jawline formula that I used. These pictures are 16 months apart
3 Steps to a Sharper Jawline
⚙️ Step #1: MEWING - Set the Foundation
Now you know what is it, so get started! Mewing will set your jaw in the right position, help give you hollow cheeks, and tighten up your neck and chin area.
💪 Step #2: CHEWING - Build the Right Muscle
💎 Step #3: SLIMMING - Chisel and Define
Many jawlines are hidden by fat. Getting lean by losing weight ensure that all your hard work is chiseled and defined.
READ MORE: I break down the formula in more detail👇
🏁 SUMMARY: What is Mewing?
✅ Mewing is the Correct Way to Breath, Chew, Swallow and Position Your Tongue
Mewing will make your facial musculature stronger and nose breathing will result in better oxygen absorption. Mewing is the cure for overbites, weak chins and double chins. Learn how to mew and start TODAY.
💡 The Ideas Behind Mewing Came From Dr. John Mew
A British Orthodontist called Dr. John Mew has worked on tongue posture ideas for decades. In recent years, his son Mike Mew, has been responsible for making mewing popular via YouTube videos.
🔬 Mewing Has NOT Been Rigorously Scientifically Tested
There is lots of anecdotal evidence for mewing and plenty of supporting evidence. But there haven't been enough extensive research to fully support mewing.
🍀 GOOD LUCK 🍀
P.S if you're interested in what mewing is because of it's effect on your jawline... then you need to know about mastic gum👇